Monday, October 17, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Puffs

First, I would like to apologize for the blurriness of my pictures. Apparently, I shake.

Second, if this recipe was a prostitute, it would be one of those REALLY high class ones that everyone thinks is in PR or advertising and you worked really hard to snag while all the time you’re thinking “Man! I really pulled this off!” … I think I lost this metaphor somewhere.

Anyway, last night I made chicken enchilada puffs. I was prepping these while on the phone with my mom and she remarked “it sounds so gourmet!” They weren’t. But they did taste pretty damn good.

The recipe is here from Tidy Mom. I’m pretty sure this is one of those Kraft-sponsored recipes, or whatever, but who cares, because, seriously, it’s that yummy.

What I changed:

1. I used puff pastry instead of crescent rolls. But the frozen kind, not homemade. My motto is, if it’s good with crescent dough, it’ll be better with puff pastry. (Technically, this is the first recipe where I’ve tried out this motto, but so far, so good.)

2. I used more chicken. I grilled 4 chicken strips (approx 1 1/3 breasts) on the George Foreman grill and used all of it in the mix. It came out to about 1 cup of torn-up chicken. Even after this, it was still a little creamy for my taste, so next time I make this I’ll probably use less cream cheese.

I used about a heaping tablespoon of filling per turnover. You will have some filling leftover. I suggest putting it in a wrap and having it for lunch the next day. (I really wish I had thought of that this morning.)

3. I cooked mine for about 18 minutes on 350. The inside was still a tiny bit dough-y (you may be able to see that in the pictures if you look really hard), but with already cooked chicken, there wasn’t a big worry about under cooking.

If you try this one, let me know what you think. And what you served with it. I didn’t cook any sides, just served mine with canned pineapple. It was good, but not great, together, I just kind of forgot about sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment