Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This is my Thanksgiving post

So, Thanksgiving has come and gone. I love Thanksgiving. Hubs and I have friends (and dogs) over and eat and drink and hangout. It’s super low-key and I love it. I also love Thanksgiving food. Except for stuffing/dressing.

This year, I cooked A Lot. I always do, but this year it seemed like so much more. I took no pictures though, because - well come on. I was cooking all day. There was no time for photos. I did take a picture of my gameplan:

I always make a plan like this for big meals. Several items aren’t on here - the cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, rolls, deviled eggs, and turkey. The turkey was the big ticket item, so everything else had to be worked around it. The others were made early because I planned ahead (for once!).

So… without further ado here’s my Thanksgiving and links to recipes I used.

Turkey - 17.5lbs for 5 adults and 2 kids. I really like leftovers.

Sweet Potatoes - family recipe so sorry, no link for this one

Creamed Corn - My ABSOLUTE favorite thing I made for Thanksgiving this year. HANDS DOWN. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I’m so making this all the time forever now. From Kitchen Runway.

Green Beans - I kind of used this recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen, but honestly, I got to step 2 and it was time to eat so I just spritzed them with lemon juice and served warm.

Mashed Potatoes - my mom’s recipe, which is basically boiled potatoes, butter, milk, and salt. Mix well, serve warm.

Macaroni & Cheese - This is the first time I’ve ever made mac & cheese sans box. I (and everyone else) approve of this non-box variety from Evil Shenanigans.

Deviled Eggs - I’m almost embarrassed to tell you how I make deviled eggs, but here goes. Hard boil the eggs, cool, then peel. Slice in half, scoop out the yellow bits and add Miracle Whip. Mix. Put the yellow mix back into the egg whites. Refrigerate until time to eat.

Cranberry Sauce - I kind of just throw my cranberry sauce together, because, really, this stuff is wicked easy to do. Fresh cranberries, water, orange juice, a cinnamon stick, sugar, and pecan pieces if I remember. Make it a couple of days ahead and keep it in the fridge until about 5 minutes after everyone has sat down with their food. Wait, that’s only me? Ok, suit yourself. Here's a basic recipe from The Meaning of Pie that's pretty much like mine.

Rolls - From Bake Me Blush. Yum yum yum. For defs a make-ahead though.

Fudge Pie - My grandmother’s recipe. Imagine a brownie baked in a pie shell.

Pumpkin Pie - Used the recipe from the back of the pumpkin can. Cause I’m fancy.

Ok, so I lied. I have one pic from all the food I made for Thanksgiving -

Please ignore how disgusting my stove looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment