Friday, February 3, 2012

Red Velvet Mini Sandwiches

I made these cookies for a Christmas present, but I'm posting them now because they'd be perfect for Valentine's day. I used this recipe from Babble's The Family Kitchen and just mini-sized it. 

One thing I learned from making these is that if you use a round teaspoon (or tablespoon for larger cookies) to scoop out your dough, it is incredibly tedious, but the process makes amazingly perfectly round cookies that look like they came from a bakery. 
The only one out of the billion I scooped 
that I took a picture of. 
Perfection. 
You won't need as much frosting/filling that you think you will. It's yummy, and rich, and kind of dense. I actually had a bunch of frosting left over after I got done making them.
This part is going to be difficult, but trust me - it's worth it. Once you get the cookie sandwiches made. Put them away and don't eat them the same day. I know, crazy, right! But hear me out. Hubs and I each ate (at least) one the same night I made them. Honestly, they were alright. But that was it. Just alright. I was kind of disappointed. The next day I had another one, and it was AMAZING. These cookies had magically transformed into soft, moist, wonderful little red velvet parties. The cookies apparently absorbed some of the moisture from the frosting and softened up over night so that the texture and taste was more like a tiny whoopie pie. So. Much. Better. Who knew delayed gratification was actually worth something?

No comments:

Post a Comment