Thursday, March 29, 2012

Healthy Cookie Pie

I really feel like a lot of my post titles start with the word "Healthy". Not that that's a bad thing, it just shows how uncreatively I write.

So, I don't know if I've said it officially, but Hubs and I have been trying to eat much healthier this year. Not like a resolution or anything, just a subtle lifestyle change. More fruit &veggies, less meat, less refined sugar-type foods. It's going pretty good. However, not everyone is all about my new-found healthy-ness and sometimes I want to make something tasty for my amigos. Enter, healthy desserts. 

Chocolate Covered Katie is kind of a whiz at these things and I suggest that everyone visit her site. This is one of her creations, the first I've tried, and based on the results, I think I'll be using her many more times.

Poor smoothie-maker :-(
Also, this recipe is the reason I need to get a food processor. I blended everything in the blender and it took FOREVER. I had to do it in batches and I'm pretty sure it almost broke the poor smoothie-maker (what I've come to call our blender). [Side note - our blender was a wedding gift for Hub's parents and is one of my favorite things in our kitchen. It still works like a beast even though I abuse it.]


Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

Everything blended and ready to bake
  • 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) 
  • 1 cup quick oats 
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 T canola oil
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar 
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender - lesson learned). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled springform pan. Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

I don't have a picture of a slice of the pie. You'll just have to take my word for it. It was good. Hubs couldn't tell it had beans in it. Someone with a super sensitive taster might be able to tell that it's not a super-lux dessert, but I doubt they'd pin point "beans!"

No comments:

Post a Comment