Thursday, February 16, 2012

Healthy Cheesecake

My post titles suck. Let's just get that out of the way now. I was trying to come up with something cute and clever to call this cheesecake, but let's face it - it's a healthy cheesecake and that's what I'm calling it. 



Healthy Cheesecake
Adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
1.5 C low-fat honey graham cracker crumbs (about 11 sheets)
6 T unsalted butter, melted
2 C Stevia in the Raw (separated)
4 (8 ounce) packages 1/3 fat cream cheese
3 T unbleached all purpose flour
4 eggs
1 C non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 t vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare a springform pan by covering the outsides and bottom with aluminum foil. This is to prevent water getting into the cheesecake later. As you can see from my pictures, I did this wrong. It wasn't until the cake was cooling that I realized the outside of the pan needs the foil. So I'm clarifying this for all my lovely readers.


Combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter in a bowl. Push crust mixture into the bottom of the springform pan and just slightly up the sides.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Place the baked crust into a large baking dish. Bring a pot of water to a bowl. Set aside.
Bring the oven to 450°F.
Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until loose (just a few seconds). Mix in the sugar and flour, just until blended. Mix in the eggs, one egg at a time, beating well in between. Beat in the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Pour into the crust (it’s okay if it is still warm).

Pour the water in the large baking dish surrounding the springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 250°F and bake for another 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, take off the aluminum foil (easier if it's on the outside, fyi.) Using a knife, loosen the cake from the rim of the pan.

Allow the cheesecake to cool for about 5-10 minutes until cool enough to handle. Remove the sides of the springform pan.
Chill in the refrigerator.

Serve when cool either plain or with toppings of your choice.

Hubs and I each had a piece when it was still warm last night. It was surprisingly yummy and fluffy. Today, after chilling all day,  it was denser and more cheesecake-like. 


Yummy close up.
The taste is really good. It does taste of Greek yogurt, so I may have to experiment with stuffs to help cut that. And it tastes slightly of sweetener, but it's not overwhelming like a chemical sweetener would be. Next time I make it I'm for defs going to double the graham crackers. I need more crust. 


But the best part? I ate a whole piece today and didn't feel like crap afterwards. It's definitely lighter and not calorie-laden like regular cheesecake is, but you still get the creaminess. 


So, yes. Make this and eat it all. It's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment